- About Us
- Our Commitment
- U.S. Vaccines
- Vaccine Essentials
- Our Web Sites
R & D
Creating solutions for tomorrow through Research and Development
Innovation is the key to improving people's health worldwide and to our company's success. That is why Sanofi Pasteur devotes more than €1 million to its global research and development every day.
The process to develop a new vaccine can take between 14 and 25 years with an overall cost of between $300 million and $1 billion.
Worldwide, Sanofi Pasteur is at the forefront of developing immunological solutions to prevent diseases for every stage of life. We are continuously harnessing new scientific knowledge and technologies to design safe and effective single-entity and combination vaccines against complex diseases for the world’s population.
Working alone or in collaboration with third parties, the company is developing vaccines against diseases for which there are pressing needs. Thirteen are currently in development or submitted for approval, focusing on new targets and improved vaccines for every stage of life including:
- new vaccines against infectious diseases for which no vaccines are currently available, such as dengue fever, and hospital-acquired infections, e.g. Clostridium difficile and enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) infections;
- new vaccines against the diseases that plague emerging countries, such as tuberculosis;
- novel or improved vaccines adapted to local needs such as rotavirus vaccine or second generation purified vero rabies vaccine (VRVg);
- new combination vaccines for every stage of life such as a ready to use 6-in-1 pediatric vaccine (reducing the number of injections against 6 major childhood diseases) and,
- vaccines to face a potential influenza pandemic.